Today, it is difficult to ascertain when the first aircraft took off and landed in Dortmund. What is certain is that it was before the First World War. On the advice of the then Mayor, Dr. Eichhoff, a flight base "north of the Brackel village" was established in Dortmund during the war. After the war, Dortmund was involved in postal flights for the German Air Freight Service. When the French left the Ruhr Area in the autumn of 1924, negotiations began with Deutscher Aero Lloyd and Junkers Luftverkehr AG about linking cities in the Ruhr with the international air traffic network. In the spring of 1925, Aero Lloyd began flights to Berlin and on 25 May 1925, the inaugural meeting of the "Luftverkehr Aktiengesellschaft Westfalen (Welu)" public limited company took place. The initial investment amounted to one million Reichsmark. The aim of this body was to promote organisations related to flight and, in particular, to advance air traffic. Various cities across the Ruhr region were involved in the company's foundation, including the City of Dortmund. However, in the autumn of the same year, the city could no longer bear the financial burden. Therefore, a private airport company was established.
- helpful tips
- important news
- various travel offers
- special sales and discounts
Please note that the newsletter is currently issued in the German language only.